Believers often say that discipleship is neglected because they have no time. Some others think that discipleship is too demanding, and Christians do not really want discipleship. Still others say that they do not know how to disciple, or what materials to use in discipling and therefore discipleship is not something they want to get into. These are merely surface problems. The root cause is there are five misconceptions about discipleship:
1. Discipleship just happens.
2. Discipleship takes place when people attend church programs.
3. Discipleship is only for new Christians.
4. Discipleship is for the spiritual elites only.
5. Discipleship is a program.